The Walker County Board of Elections and Registration
RUNNING FOR OFFICE
This page is to provide some basic information for those interested in running for office in Walker County. For state level races, please see the Secretary of State's Website and click on Information for Candidates.
You will officially declare your intention to run by completing a form and paying a fee during the following times. The process is called "Qualifying".
Starting Date: Monday, March 7, 2016
Ending Date: Friday, March 11, 2016
Accepting Campaign Donations
Many laws regulating the acceptance of campaign contributions are governed by the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission. Please visit their Website before accepting any donations.
Requirements for Qualifying
Various offices have different requirements for those who wish to run. It is the applicant's responsibility to determine what the qualifications are and that they are met. Click here for information GA Secretary of State.
County level partisan offices will qualify at locations determined by the Walker Republican Party or the Walker Democratic Party. Nonpartisan judges will qualify at the Walker Elections Office. State offices qualify at locations in Atlanta.
List of Registered Voters
How to order a voters list, click here.
O.C.G.A. § 16-7-58(a) prohibits you from erecting signs on public or private property if you do not have permission to do so. Please note that the offices of Walker County Government and Walker County School District have indicated that they do not give permission for any campaign signs on their property.
It shall be unlawful for any person to place posters, signs, or advertisements:
- On any public property or building, unless the owner thereof or the occupier as authorized by such owner has given permission to place such posters, signs, or advertisements on such property; provided, however, that signs within the rights of way of public roads shall be governed by Code Section 32-6-51;
- On any private property unless the owner thereof or the occupier as authorized by such owner has given permission to place such posters, signs, or advertisements on such property; and, provided, further that no municipal, county, or consolidated government may restrict by regulation or other means the length of time a political campaign sign may be displayed or the number of signs which may be displayed on private property for which permission has been granted; or
- On any property zoned for commercial or industrial uses if the placement of such posters, signs, or advertisements conflicts with any zoning laws or ordinances.
O.C.G.A. § 21-2-414 prohibits campaign signs on Election Day, including those on vehicles and hand-held, within 150 feet of a polling place or 25 feet of voters standing in line to vote.
No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign literature, newspaper, booklet, pamphlet, card, sign, paraphernalia, or any other written or printed matter of any kind, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition or conduct any exit poll or public opinion poll with voters on any day in which ballots are being cast:
- Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;
- Within any polling place; or
Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
Qualifying Fee Notice
Pursuant to O.C.G.A. & 21-2-131 (a) (1), the following qualifying fees were set by the Walker County Commissioner in the January 2016 meeting:
Judge, Probate Court -$1,895
Clerk, Superior Court -$1,895
Tax Commissioner -$1,895
Magistrate Court Judge -$1,895
State Court Judge -$3,836
Board of Education Post 1 -$36.00
Board of Education Post 4-$36.00
Board of Education Post 5- $36.00
Qualifying for the offices listed above will begin at 9:00 am on March 7, 2016 and will end at noon on March 11, 2016.
The General Primary will be held on May 24, 2016 and the General Election will be held on November 8, 2016.